Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reflection on Veteran's Day

I am so thankful for all of the veterans and those fighting today for keeping our country safe and free. I thank and pray for the family and friends of these soldiers, as they are sacrificing just as much as the men on the battlefront.
May you stay safe, strong, and come home soon!


In honor of Veteran's Day, I wanted to look at military/campaign inspired furniture. Fashion has channeled the military look for several fall seasons and the look has become popular in furnishings. 
As seen in the NY Shopping in 2005.

Still going strong in 2009 as seen with CAbicanary.










Military and campaign furniture have been around for ages, but it is becoming very popular to have a few pieces around the home. Campaign furniture was used overseas during the wars to allow for quick dis-assembly to move to the next location. Most things folded down flat, had removable tops, and could be linked together to make larger surfaces when needed. Many current furniture designers have pieces in their lines that reference the military/campaign style furniture used by our troops today and during the wars of the past.
 
Military inspired chest via Theodore Alexander

Military surplus desk in Campaign style.













Campaign furniture style via Richard Wrightman.

Restoration Hardware's homage to aviators.


Everyone that knows me knows that I love antiques and old furniture. I found this wonderful chest at an antique booth shop in East Ridge and for $100 dollars, could not pass it up! It was a little 50's style chest that had great bones, but just needed a face-lift. My fabulous husband, sturdied-up the legs and helped me paint this darling! 

This isn't mine, I didn't think to get a "before" picture, but it looked similar to this.

Inspired by the military interiors movement, I painted the chest with a metallic paint in a faux-finish. This is what it looks like now. I plan to paint the edges with a a darker metallic paint to give emphasis and depth like the other military pieces that are so popular now.


2 comments: