Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Stripes!

Last week, I mentioned that I had finally made a decision on what to do in my powder room...

This is my  plain-jane builder-basic powder bath. I did originally select a pedestal sink because the room was so small that I did not want a huge cabinet in there. Although I do miss the storage, I think it looks great and keeps it open in there.
I played around on sketchup to come up with the scale and pattern for the stripes.I ended up doing 10" stripes centered on the height of the wall. This left a small stripe at the top and the bottom of the room. Otherwise- it looked either bottom- or top-heavy.


Over the weekend (between little man's naps), I measured out the stripes. I heard of a few different ways to paint the stripes and after deliberation, I drew lines with a level across the wall and then taped them off with Blue tape--

P.S.  I would HIGHLY reccommend edge lock-- I ran out almost at the end of my taping off the stripes and used the cheap brand without edge lock and had a lot of bleeding without the edge lock!


I had a hard time deciding on a color...
Greg helped me narrow them down to these "few"

and I narrowed it down to these.... eventually landing on the center one-- (it worked best with the floor tile)

I decided on Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter in a Semi-Gloss (the base coat is Sherwin William's Crisp Linen in flat enamel)


On Monday I finally painted the stripes. As soon as I could, I slowly removed the tape!

Here are the results! 



I love how the light is now on a darker stripe. Somehow it looks 'more better'- haha! When it was all cream in the room, it just looked to harsh in the room- now it makes much more sense!

The switch plate blends in with the wall pretty well. I wish I could say that I did this on purpose--but it was just luck!

This picture shows the truest color for the room. 

I still have to go back and touch up where the paint bled under the cheap tape and a few places that I painted over the tape onto the cream stripe, but that will again happen between naps and eventually will get done.

I still haven't hung the mirror or art yet. I want to make sure the wall is good and dry before I put anything up!

What do you think?


3 comments:

  1. Oh, Whitney I love it! I am thinking doing this on the buffet wall of my dining room. It's the first wall you see when you enter the house. Thanks for the tips - I'm inspired by your results!
    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!!! Our powder room is very similar to yours (except with plumbing on the right hand wall) and I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. I feel like a powder room is a great space to do something fun and unexpected and that is just what you've done! I love, love, love it (and may totally copy your idea!!)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! It was a task, but so worth it! I would love to see pictures of your end results!

    ReplyDelete