Wednesday, October 17, 2012

i like what i'm herring, you will too!

Next up is a friend from design school, Rachel. 


She lives in Birmingham and is currently updating her home interiors. I love reading her blogs--she is ALWAYS up to something!

She has also started creating string art which is crazy coo, check out her Etsy page. !! 


_____________________________________________________



Hey guys! I am so excited Whitney invited me over to her blog to do a guest post! I started my own blog I Like What I'm Herring after I moved into my house in Birmingham and quickly became addicted to DIY projects and decorating on a budget. I write about my house projects (and project fails), along with the art I create, mixed with a bit of life (and college football of course). 

Today I want to show you my dining room and give you some of my tips on finding and transforming great furniture pieces and accessories for your home! Before we begin, I feel like you need to know something: I am obsessed with color. I can't get enough! My dining room is pretty small, but I think the pops of color really give it some depth and interest. Here are some of my little nuggets of transforming wisdom:

Tip 1: You've got to look past the flaws. 

My favorite thing in this room is the blue sideboard table. I found that baby at a thrift store in Birmingham, but I had to look past his flaws. There were knicks and scratches on the drawers and top, but it was nothing a little wood filler couldn't fix! I knew I wanted a piece with classic lines (like the curved legs) that I could paint a bold color to make it feel more modern in my space. Whenever I am looking for a table or dresser, I give it the poke test. If I can poke it with my finger and it wobbles back in forth, I pass it up (I feel that really bad structural problems are best left up to someone else). Needless to say, this guy passed the test! 


Tip 2: If at first you don't succeed, try try try try try try again. 

I can't tell you how many times I went to the thrift store looking for dining room chairs. I couldn't find any I liked for months! I was just about to order some online when I found these shown below. Same with the sideboard table, I had to look past the ugliness, and imagine the drab gray chairs painted white. I was ready to drop hundreds of dollars on chairs similar to these (white with metal legs), and I ended up finding mine for under $4 each! A couple of cans of spray paint later, I had the look I was going for and was so very glad that I kept going back to the thrift store to get a great deal! 


Tip 3: Don't be afraid of pattern!

I found this plain yellow rug for about $20, but I couldn't just let it sit there all drab and sad, now could I? I added an insane amount of painter's tape to create the hexagon shapes before painting it. Since the rug is low pile, it was easy to paint, and it's easy to clean! This room wouldn't be near as interesting if this pattern wasn't there. 


Another way I added pattern was with the barstools. These came from Target and were originally brown. I found the fabric from fabric.com and spray painted the legs metallic silver. When I picked the fabric, I made sure it complimented the surrounding areas. The main colors in my house are red, yellow, green, and different shades of blue. This fabric was perfect to help bring several of them together. I feel like some people are afraid of crazy patterned fabric, so using it in small doses like this (as opposed to curtains or chairs) is a great way to add some interest to your space! 


Tip 4: Paint is your BFF! 

Paint is one of the cheapest and easiest way to transform great finds for your home! All the projects above involved painting. I have used a brush and roller before, but my main method is to go straight for the spray paint! It is so easy and fast, and there are dozens and dozens of colors. Home Depot and Wal-Mart carry different brands, so I've found if I can't find exactly what I'm looking for at one, I'll go to the other and I usually find the shade I need. 

Transforming thrift store accessories with paint is an easy and fast way to spruce up outdated pieces. The tiny framed I Love You stitched art below had a mat that was mauve and made it look really outdated. A quick coat of green paint not only updated the look, it also tied it into the color scheme of the room. The fish on the right was bronze before I gave him a more modern high gloss white coat of paint. If bigger projects intimidate you, little accessories are a great place to start! 


I hope I've given you a little insight on how easy it is to transform and add some interest to your space! Stop by I Like What I'm Herring for more projects and tips!

I like to give a big thanks to Whitney for having me today! 


_____________________________________________________

Thanks Rachel for a great blog! Those are definitely some good tips for everyone! I love how your house is coming together and has so much character--just like you!


Stay tuned to get warmed up by the fire tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment