Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cozy on a Rainy Day

Hello Blogworld!

On this cold and rainy day, all I want to do is snuggle in the bed, watch movies, and listen to the rain. If only that is how the real world worked. Instead, I am having to search the great city of Chattanooga for accessories for a kitchen project that we are finishing up. I am in and out of the rain ALL day long. The poor people that have to see the sight of my hair; it has become quite unruly and large. If you are someone that catches a glimpse of me today, I'm Sorry!

Our neighborhood from my office this morning.

I want to share my favorite soup recipe to warm you up on this rainy night! I found this soup last spring while watching the Food Network. I am not a huge soup fan but I couldn't wait to try this one! It did not disappoint! The second time I made it, I added my touches and changes to it and it was soo much better.




Here's the original recipe:

Wild Mushroom Soup with Arugula and Walnuts

1 pound assorted wild mushrooms (chanterelle, oyster, shiitake, crimini, portobello, etc.), stemmed and sliced
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced or 2 teaspoons jarred, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 chopped fresh parsley leaves
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup lowfat milk  
1 cup andouille sausage
1 cup chopped arugula
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions 
·              melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.
·              Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes.
·              Add thyme and cook 1 minute.
·              Add chicken broth and wine and bring to a simmer, about 1 minute. Simmer 5 minutes.
·              Remove soup from the heat and, using an immersion or stand blender, puree until smooth.
·              Return the soup to low heat, add milk and andouille sausage and simmer 1 minute to heat through.
        ·              Ladle soup into bowls and top with arugula and walnuts


When I made this the first time, it was a lot thinner than it looks. It looks creamy and thick, but it pours as if it's water.  The second time I made it, I dropped down from 6 to 3.5 cups of broth. I cut the milk to 1/2 c and then added 1/2 c of half and half. Yes, this makes it a good bit less healthy, but for that rich, creamy soup; it's a must!


We like to get a loaf of French bread and sop up the soup with it Delish!!! 

Have a happy, rainy day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment